Designing Phase of Team Quasars

  • in

If you are wondering what TQ15 is, then please note that it is the name of our go kart. “TQ” stands for Team Quasars and “15” stands for 2015, the year in which it was built, so its TQ15- Team Quasars 2015. Ya we changed it from “Quaskart”, as people thought it was too flashy.
The designing of any vehicle cannot be restricted to a particular software, once the design has been completed in any software, a physical replica of the same has to be made in order to get a real feel of the vehicle. We followed the same method, the designing of the frame was done in CATIA and then physical models were made. Any changes that were made during the making of the physical model were incorporated into the software design and analysis was done for the same using ANSYS.

a.) Designing of the frame:

We divided this process of design into three phases.

  1. Phase 1 :- The first phase of designing was done in CATIA and just to be on the safer side the first physical model was done using newspaper, giving the necessary freedom to make changes.
     

    According to our predictions we had some faults with the frame. We found that the members needed some re adjustments and the designing team was up to the task.
  2. Phase 2:- The second design included the changes from the previous model. Since we were pretty sure that this model of the frame was near to perfection, we chose to make the physical replica using PVC pipes.
     
    20141019_182931phase-2-2

    [ Front Impact Analysis ]

    While analysis of this model in ANSYS, we found that the frame had some weak points which would fail during impact. This means that we needed to add some re reinforcements.

  3. Phase 3:- The final design consisted of all the reinforcements and additional members which were added to give a better torsional rigidity to our frame. This time there was no need for a prototype of the frame, we incorporated all the changes to the original frame. The design was complete, it was perfect and it met all our requirements.
     
    phase-3
    The designing and analysis team included Ruthik Bhargav, Rakshith T N, Karthik Aithal and Karthik B.

b.)  Designing of steering wheel:

One thing which we observed was that the steering wheel which was used in conventional karts was heavy, costly and too simple. We needed a steering wheel that was light, cheap and suited our requirements. The main requirements of the steering wheel was to give the necessary comfort and ease of maneuvering, It also had to be sporty to urge the driver to push the kart to the limits.

steering wheel dimetric

I was in charge of steering and the designing of steering wheel was left to me. I was not familiar with CATIA and the designing of steering wheel did not demand that much sophistication,so I ended up designing it in “Solid Edge”, which is relatively a basic software compared to CATIA.

With all this effort the designing phase of our kart came to an end. All the designs met the necessary requirements and so our team was ready to start the manufacturing phase of our kart.